Follow me on Twitter @susanscharpf or Instagram @studioscumble I write extensively about our infertility and adoption journey at weareadopted.blogspot.com

Friday, July 25, 2014

In Submission....

Oh, that title can go so many ways.  Working on my first submissions as an author, and it's a little overwhelming.  But, I have put off this pursuit far too long, so here I go.  I have a children's poem I wrote a few years ago that I have adjusted and put in book form.  It is hard not to feel too personal about your work, especially when it was written about your child.  I have included the picture that inspired this poem.  It is Dylan running on the beach when he was no more than two years-old, thick, wavy black hair blowing in the wind, short legs at full speed.  He is such a spirited little guy.  He is five now, and this poem is just as true as it ever was.  The poem compares him and his spirit to that of the ocean.  It begins:

"Little child, you are to me, so much like the living sea.
Full of life, so strong and deep, in constant motion, vast and free."

It goes on for ten more lines and draws on the imagery of the incredible moving, changing, crashing, rolling ocean.  I have always loved the lines.  They fit so perfectly with the kind of child he is.  I know there are many who can relate.  I have begun submitting it for publication, so I will keep you posted!  In the meantime, with a second little boy who is just as adventurous, I will continue to enjoy their crazy spirits "crashing on the sandy shore, then off to search and to explore."  It is the stuff of my dreams.  It is the stuff of my reality.  And probably the stuff of my next story, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment